After an absorbing day of football we managed to get our hands on some headline Opta Stats from the final (thanks to the very kind people at Opta) and we thought we’d share them with you here.
In a tense game there were a few stand-out performers from Liverpool. Stewart Downing was given man of the match for terrorising Cardiff’s right back in the first half and scoring his vital penalty in the shoot out. Martin Skrtel, although at fault for the goal, was immense after that first lapse and scored the all important equalizer. Together with that he cleared the lines so many times yesterday.
Dirk Kuyt came on and was a bundle of energy. He gave Liverpool the impetus they required and got, what looked like, the winner. However Cardiff came to fight and fight they did, squeezing an equalizer in the dying minutes of extra time. Apart from his penalty, Charlie Adam had an assured game in the middle but the team gave away possession too many times and we’ll be collating some Carling Cup Final stats manually later today.
Let’s leave you with the headline stats we have thanks to Opta and we’ll write-up a full statistical article tonight on AnfieldIndex.com:
- Gerrard created eight goalscoring chances, most of any player in the game.
- Downing delivered 20 crosses, four of which reached a team-mate (13 from open play)
- Dirk Kuyt completed all seven of his passes
- Gerrard completed 92% of his 96 passes
- Four Liverpool players made >100 touches. Gerrard 122, Jose Enrique 111, Johnson 110 & Downing 107
- Martin Skrtel made 14 clearances, more than any other player.
- Andy Carroll won all 11 of his aerial duels
Thanks to Opta Sports for the data above. Please follow @OptaJoe for more stats or power your website into a statistical haven by contacting @OptaSuit with regards to this!