The Emirates will echo with the sound of the Champions League anthem, a song that hasn’t graced its arches since the 2016/17 season. It’s a memory from a time when Mikel Arteta had just hung up his boots, youngsters like Bukayo Saka were yet to step onto the senior pitch, and future stars like Kai Havertz were just beginning to shine.
Arsenal’s last memory, a brutal 10-2 aggregate defeat to Bayern Munich in the round of 16, still lingers. But as PSV Eindhoven – the current Eredivisie leaders – head to North London, it’s time for new memories, new challenges.
Recent Encounters & Form
When Arsenal faced PSV last season in the Europa League group stage, both sides tasted victory. But as time has passed and squads have evolved, both teams will be eager to etch a fresh chapter in their European story.
Head-to-Head: A Balance of Power
- Arsenal: 1 victory
- PSV: 2 victories
- Stalemates: 2
- Last Face-off: A dominant PSV outplaying Arsenal 2-0 in the Europa League, 27 October 2022.
Staying Steady: Form Guide
- Arsenal: Riding high with WWDWW
- PSV Eindhoven: Almost neck-to-neck with WDWWW
Setting the Stage: Match Day Essentials
- Venue: The iconic Emirates Stadium, London
- Date: The evening of Wednesday, 20 September
- Kick-off: 20:00 BST sharp
- Man with the Whistle: Felix Zwayer (GER)
- Assisted by: VAR Marco Fritz (GER)
Catch Every Moment: Broadcast Guide
- UK: Discovery+, TNT Sports Ultimate, TNT Sports 1
- USA: Paramount+, ViX
- Canada: DAZN
Team News: Who’s In and Who’s Out
Arsenal’s Quandaries: With Gabriel Martinelli nursing a hamstring injury, Leandro Trossard could be the man to step up, having sealed a crucial winner against Everton. The bigger question looms – will David Raya guard the posts or will the talismanic Aaron Ramsdale reclaim his spot?
PSV’s Concerns: The Dutch side is missing the prowess of Noa Lang, leading to expectations of Hirving Lozano starting. Injuries have ruled out the likes of Armando Obispo, Fredrik Oppegard, and Mauro Junior, but the addition of Armel Bella-Kotchap from Southampton adds steel to the defence.
Anticipated Line-ups: The Probable XI
- Arsenal: (4-3-3) Raya; White, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko; Rice, Odegaard, Vieira; Saka, Jesus, Trossard
- PSV Eindhoven: (4-2-3-1) Benitez; Teze, Ramalho, Bella-Kotchap, Dest; Schouten, Veerman; Bakayoko, Saibari, Lozano; De Jong
Match Prediction: The Final Verdict
It’s the clash of the unbeaten. Both sides have showcased resilience and flair this season, aiming to top Group B, which also features formidable sides like Lens and Sevilla. Arsenal’s potential ace up their sleeve could be the return of Gabriel Jesus from injury. Anticipating a riveting contest, the scales seem tilted slightly in favour of the Gunners. Scoreline: Arsenal to emerge victorious, 3-0 over PSV Eindhoven.