The Liverpool vs West Bromwich Albion game will be crucial for both team’s places in the league. If West Brom win this match, they will replace Liverpool in 8th Position and force Liverpool to drop again to 9th Position in the league. But, if Liverpool win, they will come back to 7th position and replace Swansea.
Liverpool will seek for revenge after their loss to West Brom in the opening game of the season as they lost 3-0 at the Hawthorns. West Brom also have not won since Boxing Day. After last week’s game against Spurs, West Brom head coach Steve Clarke slammed defender Goran Popov following his sending-off for spitting, admitting he was “absolutely disgusted”. Meanwhile, Liverpool got 2 points from the last 2 games from Arsenal and Manchester City.
West Brom left-back Goran Popov will start a three-match suspension after being sent off for spitting at Tottenham defender Kyle Walker. Baggies midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu is in contention to return to the starting line-up after returning to training this week following a knee problem.
Head coach Steve Clarke has to decide whether to recall striker Peter Odemwingie, who was left out against Spurs after the collapse of his transfer deadline day move to QPR.
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge will be assessed over the weekend to decide whether he is fit enough to face West Brom on Monday.
The Telegraph are also reporting Reds winger Raheem Sterling is fit whilst, new signing, Philippe Coutinho has had his first week of training after his move from Inter Milan and should start from the bench.
- A win on Monday would see the Reds better their home league wins total for the whole of last season (six in 2011-12).
- Luis Suarez has now scored four goals in his last three Anfield games. Home and away he has scored seven goals in his last eight games and nine in the last 10 in all competitions.
- It has been more than 10 years since Liverpool last drew three successive league games 2-2 (September 2002).
- Since losing at home to Aston Villa in December, the Reds have won their three home games 4-0, 3-0 and 5-0.
- The last time Liverpool failed to score against West Brom for a second successive league game at Anfield was in 1920-21.
- The Baggies are looking for their first league double over the Reds since 1966-67.
- The Baggies have not won in the league since Boxing Day when they won 2-1 at QPR.
- West Bromwich Albion are the only Premier League team without an English goalscorer this season.
Also, as featured on the Liverpool official website, Lucas Leiva could make his 200th Liverpool appereance this Monday against West Brom whilst Glen Johnson could make his 100th.